- Parental Leave is used for the birth of a child and the
adoption of a
For adoption, the child must be under age 6 and/or not a full-time
Parental Leave is not available for foster care.
- Parental Leave can be applied before or after the
Parental Leave can be used only after an adoption date has been set.
- Parental Leave applies to both men and women who are
of MSUE. If both spouses are academic employees of MSUE, a
of six weeks of parental leave is shared.
- Parental Leave can be taken as a block of time (six
- Parental Leave must be taken no later than one year after a
- For childbirth, the short-term disability policy (up to 6
months at full
pay as stipulated by a health care professional) applies.
Leave is in addition to the short-term disability leave.
- Following the event of a birth and/or adoption, MSUE’s
policy for an academic
employee automatically allows a one month personal leave/no pay for
care purposes if requested. The employee’s position will be held
for the one month leave. The personal leave/no pay for child care
can be extended. Return to the vacated position beyond one
is the prerogative of the supervisor and is clearly stated to the
in writing prior to action relative to the continuation of the personal
- Both Parental Leave and short-term disability leave are
subject to FMLA.
- As with short-term disability leave, the academic staff
parental leave should do so in writing. The request should
the plan for using Parental Leave and, to the extent possible, the
of parental leave.