||Continuing Employment, MSUE’s job
security system, is granted after six full fiscal years of meritorious
service. Receipt of Continuing Employment insures an academic staff
member continued employment, assuming adequate financing and acceptable
performance. See the Continuing
for an explanation of the process.
||MSUE provost-appointed academic staff members
with open-ended appointments in specified units.
- Continuing Employment is granted to a person - it does not
reside in any particular position.
- Eligible academic staff members serve two three fiscal
year probationary periods.
- A review is held prior to the conclusion of the third full
fiscal year of employment and the sixth full fiscal year of employment.
- Continuing Employment is granted only at the conclusion of
the sixth full fiscal year of employment.
- The third year review results in continuation of employment
or dismissal; the sixth year review results in granting continuing
employment or dismissal.
- Action must be taken to grant or deny continuing
employment. It cannot be automatically conferred through a failure to
hold a sixth year review.
- An MSUE academic staff member may be dismissed for cause at
- An appeal system is available for a continuing employment
employee dismissed for performance reasons.
- In order to be granted Continuing Employment an employee
must be eligible for Continuing Employment and successfully complete a
sixth full fiscal year professional portfolio review.
- An employee who successfully completes a sixth full fiscal
year professional employment review receives Step II status and a $2000
(FTE) salary adjustment.
- MSU Extension Human Resources Services will supply a more
policy document upon request.
- The continuing employment applicant completes the Step
II Review Application prior to the
end of the third full fiscal year of employment and prior to the sixth
full fiscal year of employment, as necessary. The appropriate CED
completes the Step
II Supervisory Input Form
which provides the CED's view of the accuracy and quality of the
educator's application effort.
- The application is reviewed by the regional director and
two other MSUE administrators for off-campus staff members or three
appropriate administrators for on-campus academic staff members.
Continuing Employment is granted by majority vote of the committee.
- A recommendation is sent to the Director of Extension, then
to the CANR Dean, then to the Office of the Provost for approval.
- The employee is typically notified shortly before July 1 of
the calendar year in which the review occurs.