Back to Administrative Handbook  Table of Contents

MSUE Administrative Handbook: Human Resources








Specific procedures must be followed for reporting accidental, work-related injuries.




MSUE provost-appointed academic and non-academic staff.  Although county employees are mentioned herein, this policy and its procedures apply to individuals employed by Michigan State University.






Michigan State University Extension employees are protected by the Michigan Workers’ Compensation Act. All accident/injury cases involving a Michigan State University Extension employee are routed through the MSUE Human Resources Office.







The following information outlines the appropriate steps to take in reporting an on-the-job accident or injury and a general explanation of Workers’ Compensation and how it is applied to Michigan State University Extension.


Workers’ Compensation as its name implies, provides compensation, both medical and monetary, for any Extension employee who sustains an injury in the performance of duty. Under the law, an injured employee is entitled to immediate first aid and complete medical care at no cost. Further, the law warrants payment of monetary compensation (lost time wages) to the injured employee as long as medical evidence indicates that the employee is totally or partially disabled and has sustained a wage loss due to the injury. It is important to remember to follow the reporting procedure to insure an Extension employee his/her right to benefits under the law. Health benefit plans, such as Blue Cross, carry an exclusion clause regarding Workers’ Compensation injuries and will not accept a claim if aware that it is work-connected. Consequently, the only recourse an Extension employee has for medical or monetary compensation in an on-the-job accident situation is Workers’ Compensation.


Workers’ Compensation procedures suggest that all injuries, even those of a seemingly minor nature, should be officially reported.  In some cases, the so-called minor injury may develop into something more serious or become complicated. Certainly, any on-the-job injury which requires a physician’s attention and/or causes absence from work should, without question, be officially reported. 

To report work related injuries, complete and submit the MSU Report of Claimed Occupational Injury or Illness.  This form must be sent to the appropriate Regional office and forwarded to MSUE Human Resources.  MSUE Human Resources will submit any necessary forms to the University Workers’ Compensation office.


In the event of an on-the-job accident, the injured party should obtain first aid as needed and notify the immediate supervisor of the incident as soon as practicable. If the injured party is on the MSU payroll, the immediate supervisor should notify the MSUE Human Resources Office of the incident as soon as possible.  If the injured party is on a county payroll, the immediate supervisor should notify the appropriate county Personnel Officer as soon as possible. For Workers’ Compensation reporting purposes, the immediate supervisor for the County Extension Director is the Regional Director; for Educators, the CED is the immediate supervisor; for paraprofessionals, the Educator or CED is the immediate supervisor.


If an employee loses time from work (other than for immediate medical attention) as a result of an on-the-job accident, a written doctor’s release is required before this person is allowed to return to work. The release should specifically indicate any work limitations imposed on the individual as a result of the injury (e.g. restrictions against lifting in a back injury case). If the employee’s return is on a restricted basis, a written schedule of duties and hours, if applicable, should be prepared by the immediate supervisor and signed by both the employee and the immediate supervisor. The written release along with the statement of restricted duties, if necessary, should then be forwarded to the appropriate Regional office and MSUE Human Resources. If, upon returning to work, the injured employee requires further medical attention as a result of the original on-the-job accident, this information must also be supplied, in writing, by the treating physician.

Any questions concerning Workers’ Compensation coverage should be directed to:

MSUE Human Resources
182 Agriculture Hall
E. Lansing, MI 48824-1039
PHONE: 517/353-9108
FAX: 517/432-4986



DATE:    July 2009